Do you know about the king stud? Are you an architect going to build a building? Or, are you a DIY lover going to frame your window or door? If this is the case, you are on the right page. Our experts have decided to share the knowledge of the king stud with you because it is a crucial but underrated construction material in the framing of buildings.
What is the King Stud?
It is a type of wall framing that architects love to use in different parts of modern homes or buildings. This framing provides extra strength and support to the wall. It is actually the longest vertical piece of lumber in the framing. It has different purposes. For example, it is used as an anchor for other lumber, to give support to the header of the window and door, etc. Architects named it King Stud because of its height, strength, and durability. It is the highest and strongest lumber in the framing world.
The king stud starts from the lower point of the wall and goes toward the ceiling. It covers the whole wall to the ceiling with studs all around it. These are mostly 2×6 inches in size and are at 16-inch intervals. In some cases, architects use insulation, sheathing, and other identical materials in between the studs. This enhances the stability and strength of it.
Mostly, the king stud comes in various widths:
- 3 ⅝ inches
- 4 inches
- 6 inches
- 8 inches
- 10 inches
- 12 inches
Mostly, it comes with a 3-inch long flange with an ⅞ inches return lip.
So, this is the definition of king stud. Now, what does it do? Where can you use it? You must want to know the answers to this question. So, we are going to discuss it.
What is it used for?
The King Stud is mostly used on the outer walls of the building because these walls need more strength than usual. So, architects place it at the corner of the building.
With it, you can also use it on the non-loading walls. An example of this is partitioning walls. Moreover, it can be used in drywall installation.
Moreover, you can also use the king stud to support the headers at the opening of doors and windows. The header, pieces of wood in the framing of openings, need extra support. So, the king stud gives extra strength to it.
So, architects mostly use it when they are creating the openings in the new home.
Also, when you need to add doors and windows to your already finished home, you should work around the king stud of the existing structure.
Because it saves them from taking out any part of the wall. So, the king stud can save the structure of the house too.
We have seen architects using this stud in those places where it is not even needed because they want to make their project sturdy and durable.
In short, it serves different purposes and can be used in different places.
Reasons for Using it
Now, let’s see why architects love this construction material a lot. What are the reasons for using the king stud?
- Load Distribution
The king stud is used to evenly distribute the load in the load-bearing walls. It is used to transfer the structural load so that the wall can bear extreme weather.
The king stud is the main lumber in the construction field. All other lumber is attached to it to give structural integrity to the building.
Moreover, it is an attachment point for the doors and windows of the house. It attaches them precisely to make them sturdy.
- Keep floors from bowing
We have told you that the king stud can evenly distribute the load of the wall. So, it ensures that floors don’t sag or bow under heavy pressure.
- Structural Support for Openings
As you already know the king stud is used in the windows and doors, it is a crucial aspect to give structural support to the openings. It bears the weight of headers, ensuring the openings never sag with time.
So, these are the main reasons for using this type of stud. Now, how to install it? Let’s delve into its details.
How to Install it
The first step for installing the king stud is to have the essential materials on hand. This includes:
Visit our store for 10% off our Tools here.
Now, the next steps are:
- First of all, cut the king stud according to the size of the openings. You should use a saw or utility knife for cutting it.
- Now, you need to secure these cut wooden pieces with screws. Do remember to properly align these pieces of wood. Otherwise, you can face a huge issue.
- After this, use 3-inch screws and drill to secure the king stud with the framing material. Here, you need to drill in the center to join them together.
- At last, you have the last lumbar left. Secure it to the material (such as windows or doors) which needs support. For it, again use a drill and 3-inch screws.
So, these are the four steps of installing the king stud on your project. But, like any other construction aspect, you need to be really careful here.
Precautions to Take While Installing
Let’s discuss a few precautions you should take while installing the king stud:
- Always ensure to check the building codes before installing this stud. Make sure that you know when and how to use it.
- We recommend you measure the openings precisely. Because, if your measurements get wrong, you can face extreme structural issues. Also, mark the points where you want the king stud before installing it.
- Make sure that your framing material is of good quality.
- You should properly align your studs. For it, you can use a level. It will ensure that the king stud is leveled properly.
- Remember to check the king stud before using them. Make sure that they are straight and stable. If there is any warping or bowing, don’t install them.
- The king studs should be the exact length of your wall so you should measure it properly.
- You should make sure that you are using the right nails when installing the king stud. It needs 16d nails which you need to drill into each end of the header. Also, inspect that the nails are properly secured.
- There should be a proper space between each stud on the frame. Make sure that the spacing is correct.
- Before installing, inspect the wall. Check if there are any plumbing or electricity wires going through it. If there are any, avoid drilling the king stud on them.
- Make sure that your wall doesn’t need bracing or sheathing. It depends on your wall’s purpose. You can check the local building codes to know about it.
- You should wear safety gear while handling and installing them. It includes eye protection and gloves.
As you already know, these studs are used to give strength to your project and hold your headers firmly in their place, installing them incorrectly will weaken your building structure. It can lead to dire consequences in the future. So, you should focus while installing it.
There are certain cons of installing the king stud. You should know how it causes issues in your project before using it.
The king stud can cause space issues in the wall when you are installing them. It can reduce the available space within a wall cavity.
So it means you can’t use the wall for insulation, electric, or plumbing reasons.
Limit the Size of the Window and Door
They are mostly used in the context of window and door framing. They can provide support to them but also limit their size and placement.
It limits the room for them to open. Moreover, if the opening is large, king studs may need additional support. So, it will complicate the structure.
These studs need extra lumber and additional construction material to work properly. This means that it needs extra material and cost to work.
So, if you are tight on the budget, you may need to limit the use of them.
You will need more labor and professionals to install the king stud. As it requires precision and proper alignment, it may take a lot of their time.
So, you not only need more people but also more time for it.
The presence of these can impact the aesthetic presentation of your building. It may not align with the structure and beauty of your building, impacting its beauty and structure.
This stud, made of wood, can act as a thermal bridge. So, they allow more heat to enter the inside or outside of the building.
It means that it will keep buildings hot during summer and cold during winter. So, your energy efficiency will also be greatly impacted by it.
There can be strict building codes related to the placement and size of it. You need to follow each of them to ensure the proper structure of your building.
If you fail to do it, this can cause legal issues for you. That’s why, we recommend you to consult a professional architect for installing them.
So, this is the entire information guide about the king stud which you should now be more informed about.
For any repairs, installations, builds, or questions; We recommend you to hire a professional. Find A Pro Near You Here!